Monday, July 16, 2007

Kara's first solo ride


Kara & I went on our first little trail ride together on Sunday. This is Kara's first solo trip without "mom" having a grip on whatever horse she is riding. Kara is riding Red, my old barrel horse from when I was a teenager. It was very neat to watch Kara ride him and brought back all those memories of our times together. It was also a bit sad, as Red is 26 years old now, and no longer has the "shape & pep" as the old days. Which, fortunately, enables Kara to ride him with no trouble by herself. In the days of old, Red was a handful for anyone, but was a fast one doing the speed events. We are planting the seed for "grandpa" that Red should come live with us for Kara to ride and take care of...
Other news:
Showing is going good - Randy is qualifed with Gus to go to the Wis State Horse Council Championship Challenge Show. Though Randy & Gus have had some "partnership" issues, I think they are starting to figure each other out.
Charisma and I are not qualified yet - though I've had some great rides on her. We were 2nd place at July 1st Portage show in Jr Horse Western Pleasure in a very large (and somewhat scary) class, but that is not a qualifying class for the championship show. I've had some really nice rides and have put her away on those notes - vs continuing to show her and having a problem crop up. I have until Sept 9th to get her qualified and about 5 shows left to go to that I can compete at with her. She has made great progress in the last 4 weeks in her training and is really coming into being a "show" horse.


1 comment:

Callie said...

That's sweet that Red has a new job that suits him to the ground. It's great for a young child and the horse still feels useful.