Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Remembering Simon







Shy As A Shadow 1996 Bay Quarter Horse Gelding



Simon was Randy's show horse that we bought in Kentucky in 2000. I was pregnant with Kara when we drove down to get him. Bo showed him halter and showmanship. Randy rode him in everything. I even did a little speed classes and won the BHSA versatility award one year. Kara rode him as a baby. Rhea Scherbert rode him one year and won all the Tiny Tot Year End High Points. Alex Harvey tried out a pleasure class or two on him. Karissa Chapman took him to the State 4-H Pleasure show.










I ran across some pictures. One of the few horse's that I miss and regret having sold. The last I knew he was well taken care of at a show barn near Stevens Point, so that makes me happy. I look at horse's for sale every week on dreamhorse and equine.com, in the chance that he might be listed (well that's one good reason to go on there isn't it?).






The only other horse that I really really miss, is my horse from my teenage years, Shadow, a grulla quarter horse mare. She was my horse that I did everything with. There are pictures of us in interesting places - tied to the gas pumps at the Mason Station in Briggsville, to an alley in Portage. Unless she's a grand age of 35, she's no longer with us, and I'm sad to say that I don't know where her "final resting" place is.






I have to honestly say at this point, that unless it meant not feeding my kids, that Gus has a permanent home with me. It's taken YEARS to find a horse that I have that "special" something with....as there was frankly a huge "childhood" spot to fill with Shadow's memory. My best friend, Shelley, likes to pick on me about this, as she's known how many I've bought and sold in the last 15 years or so. But horses are like husbands - you need a good fit....lol...























No comments: