Monday, January 08, 2007

Charisma

I actually made time to work with Charisma this weekend. This is the first time since we brought her home after Thanksgiving that I have done anything with her besides lead her outside and brush her on occasion.

I started with some basic round pen work and she did very well. She was extremely sensitive to the whip - to the point that all I had to do was pick it up and she'd take off at a run. I wouldn't say she was frightened of it, but she certainly understood that whip=go.. so I spent considerable amount of time desensitizing her with the whip. I've been a fan of Clinton Anderson for quite a few years and really believe and understand most of his concepts. BUT some of its easier said than done! lol... Charisma really hated having me move the whip over her head...she would take off running. Ok - Clinton says to NOT take "it" away, until the horse stands, then remove the scary object at that point. Soooooo, picture me holding the line, the whip swirling over her head, and her running away....the difficulty here was trying to hold crazy said horse and keep whip moving, which was just at that point making her go faster...ha ha.... it eventually worked, and I think I only tied myself up 3 times, and only whacked myself in the head once.... This was Saturday. She was much much better on Sunday. Her ears were flat back on her head, but she stood for it.

My boarder, Cindy, was there riding and her fiancee stood on the fence and watched Sunday's session with what I felt was a great deal of interest. He asked some very good questions and really seemed to understand why I would want to desensitize her to the whip (which even I know sounds a little backward). No mind you, that HE is a beginner, and only has ridden a few time.

By my end session with Charisma on Sunday - she was flexing on both sides really good, grasped the idea of yielding her hind quarters, was reversing by me switching hands on the line, and would stand for the whip being moved all over and swung over her head. She never got sweaty, crazy or silly. I am pretty impressed with her at this point. Plus what an athletic little thing she is. She could slide to a stop and roll back faster than a lick. Plus she can lope a circle around me on a 6' length of rope....COOL....

No comments: